Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Medieval Fragments

  Medieval Fragments

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

probably late-fifteenth century or early-sixteenth century, restored about 1874

Two-light window filled with fragments, comprising a large heraldic shield, angels, and parts of a crucifixion, including the head of Christ.

size: 43 cm (width of each light) [approx]

Church of All Saints, Buttington, Powys
west wall of the nave

The glass is from different dates, and was displaced from the east window in about 1874. Mostyn Lewis dates the shield to the late sixteenth century.




 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 08-08-2012

 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Medieval FragmentsMedieval Fragments
For other artworks containing these subjects please click on the links below:

Click here for other works at this site

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), pp. 34, 55.

Mostyn Lewis, Stained Glass in North Wales up to 1850 (Altrincham: John Sherratt and Son Ltd, 1970), pp. 30-1.


 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2012.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/3749 (accessed 9 August 2020)


 

  Medieval Fragments

Photo © Martin Crampin



 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2020 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2020