Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

St Catherine, St James the Great, St Lawrence and a Bishop

  St Catherine, St James the Great, St Lawrence and a Bishop

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

early sixteenth century, restored in 1877

Four standing figures in the main lights of a four light-window. In the left-hand light a bishop holds an ornate crozier, his right hand raised. In the next light Catherine is shown holding an open book and sword, a wheel by her side. James is dressed as a pilgrim and holds an open book and a staff. In the right-hand light Lawrence is shown holding a closed book and gridiron.

size: 45 cm (width of each light)
restorer: Joseph Bell

Church of St Asaph and St Cyndeyrn, Llanasa, Flintshire
east wall of the north nave (window number: nI)

The four figures were moved from the five-light window in the south nave in 1877 and heavily restored in such a way as to make it difficult to discern how much glass is original. A drawing of 1825 shows the figures in their former positions, flanking the crucifixion from left to right were: Catherine, a bishop, Lawrence and James.

Although the female saint is titled 'Sca Katharina', the inscription does not appear in the 1825 drawing, neither does her wheel or sword. The figure, with its line around her neck, may in fact represent Winefride.



 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 17-11-2021

 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

St Catherine, St James the Great, St Lawrence and a BishopSt Catherine, St James the Great, St Lawrence and a BishopA Bishop: St Catherine, St James the Great, St Lawrence and a BishopSt Winifred: St Catherine, St James the Great, St Lawrence and a BishopSt James: St Catherine, St James the Great, St Lawrence and a BishopSt Laurence: St Catherine, St James the Great, St Lawrence and a Bishop

Other works associated with this work

  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other works at this site
Click here for other works connected to Joseph Bell & Son

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), pp. 45, 90.

Mostyn Lewis, Stained Glass in North Wales up to 1850 (Altrincham: John Sherratt and Son Ltd, 1970), pp. 12, 52-3.

References

Edward Hubbard, The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (Harmondsworth/Cardiff: Penguin/University of Wales Press, 1986), p. 383.

Painton Cowen, A Guide to Stained Glass in Britain (London: Michael Joseph, 1985), p. 220.

Malcolm Seaborne, 'Victorian and Later Stained Glass in Flintshire Churches' The Journal of the Flintshire Historical Society, vol. 35 (1999), 121.


 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2021.
https://stainedglass.delweddau.cymru/object/3746 (accessed 25 April 2024)



View this object on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 

  St Catherine, St James the Great, St Lawrence and a Bishop

Photo © Martin Crampin



 
Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies


Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin © 2011-2024