Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Glass Fragments

  Glass Fragments

Photo © Martin Crampin

Left-hand window (S1)

larger image

sixteenth-seventeenth century, with later additions, set in about 1860

Two three-light windows containing glass from a variety of provenances. Includes a roundel of the Nativity and a rectangular panel of the Crucifixion, that are suggestive of a sixteenth-century origin.



Church of St Beuno, Bettws Cedewain, Powys
south wall of the nave

The windows contain Flemish glass bought by the Hanbury Tracy family (later Lords Sudeley), who owned nearby Gregynog Hall until 1894. Their extensive collection of Flemish roundels was formerly housed at the family's Gloucestershire house at Toddington. Includes fragments that may be as early as about 1500, together with grisaille work from about 1600, and pieces of heraldry or merchants marks from the seventeenth or eighteenth century. Much of the surrounding glass probably dates from the nineteenth century. The medieval-style female saint below the Nativity appears modern however, and the Nativity and Crucifixion scenes could be modern copies in a sixteenth-century style.




 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 26-04-2016

 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Glass FragmentsGlass FragmentsGlass FragmentsGlass FragmentsGlass FragmentsThe Nativity: Glass FragmentsGlass FragmentsTracery Lights: Glass FragmentsGlass FragmentsThe Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary, St John and Mary Magdalene: Glass FragmentsGlass FragmentsGlass FragmentsGlass FragmentsTwo Grisaille Scenes: Glass Fragments

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other works at this site

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), pp. 64–5.

Mostyn Lewis, Stained Glass in North Wales up to 1850 (Altrincham: John Sherratt and Son Ltd, 1970), pp. 28-9.

D. R. Thomas, The History of the Diocese of St Asaph (Oswestry: Caxton Press, 1908-1913), vol. I, p. 513.


 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2016.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/3741 (accessed 26 September 2021)



View this object on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 

  Glass Fragments

Photo © Martin Crampin



 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2021 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2021