Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

St Teilo and St Margaret of Scotland

  St Teilo and St Margaret of Scotland

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

1959

Two-light window with standing figures. Teilo is mitred and holds a pastoral staff. Margaret is crowned and holds a book and cross.


firm/studio: Celtic Studios
designer: Howard Martin

Church of St George, St George's, Vale of Glamorgan
south wall of the south transept

Given in memory of Commander Llewellyn Edmund Traherne, who died on active service in 1914, and Dorothy Emma Olivia Traherne, his wife (died 1957).

The design, by Howard Martin, was a deliberate attempt to modernise the style of the firm.





 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 13-12-2011

 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

St Teilo and St Margaret of ScotlandSt Teilo: St Teilo and St Margaret of ScotlandSt Margaret of Scotland: St Teilo and St Margaret of Scotland

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other works at this site
Click here for other works connected to Celtic Studios
Click here for other works connected to Howard Martin

Further reading

Maurice Broady, A Vision Fulfilled: The story of Celtic Studios and Swansea's architectural glass tradition (Swansea: West Glamorgan Archive Service, 2010), pp. 58-9.

Maurice Broady, 'Stained Glass Design in Wales' in Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, vol. 6 (new series) (2000), 157.

Martin Crampin, 'A Change of Direction: Modernism in the stained glass of the Diocese of Llandaff in the 1950s and 1960s' in The Journal of Stained Glass, vol. xlii (2018), 57–8.

References

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (London/Cardiff: 1995), p. 562.


 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2011.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/2371 (accessed 26 October 2020)


 

  St Teilo and St Margaret of Scotland

Photo © Martin Crampin



 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2020 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2020