Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

St Nicholas

  St Nicholas

© University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, photo Martin Crampin

larger image

about 1894

Standing figure of the saint, dressed as a bishop, in a single-light window. Roundels above and below, depicting a ship and an anchor.


firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls

Church of St Nicholas, Nicholaston, Swansea
west wall of the nave

Text: 'O ye seas and floods bless the Lord, praise Him and magnify Him for ever'. The text is from the Benedicite and a variant on verse 56 of the Prayer of Azariah.




 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 13-12-2011

 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

St Nicholas

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other works at this site
Click here for other works connected to Burlison & Grylls

Further reading

Gary Gregor, 'The Gower legacy of Miss Olive Talbot' in Gower, vol. 53 (2002), 66.

References

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 148.


 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2011.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/1846 (accessed 5 August 2020)


 

  St Nicholas

© University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, photo Martin Crampin



 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2020 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2020