Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

St Cynog
detail from St Cynog, St Brychan and St Alud

  St Cynog    detail from    St Cynog, St Brychan and St Alud

Photo © Martin Crampin

Left-hand light.

larger image

about 1910

Three-light window with standing figures. Family heraldry in the upper tracery lights. Cynog holds a martyr's palm and a cross, and has a Celtic tonsure. His famous torc is also depicted and his cloak is fastened by a penannular brooch. Brychan also wears a cloak fastened by a penannular brooch, and a sword; he is crowned, holding a sceptre and a cross. Alud holds a sword and a stone is shown by her feet. A landscape of hills is shown in the background behind the figures, which is suggestive of the Brecon Beacons.


firm/studio: James Powell & Sons
designer: William Aikman

Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
north wall of the north aisle (St Keyne's Chapel)

The window was commissioned in 1910 and installed in that year or in 1911. It was given in memory of Philip Howel Morgan (1816–68) of Defynnog, rector of Llanhamlach; his wife Margaret (1816–84) of Buckingham Place, Brecon; and Margaret's brother William Hughes (1820–86), vicar of Ebbw Vale.




 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 23-02-2018

 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

St Cynog, St Brychan and St AludSt Brynach: St Cynog, St Brychan and St AludSt Alud: St Cynog, St Brychan and St AludHeraldry: St Cynog, St Brychan and St Alud

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other works at this site
Click here for other works connected to James Powell & Sons
Click here for other works connected to William Aikman

References

Richard Haslam, The Buildings of Wales: Powys (Harmondsworth/Cardiff: 1979), p. 292.


 

User contributed comments

Pritchard, Elsie, 'Gwenllian Morgan 1852-1939', Brycheiniog, vol. XII (1966/67), p. 6:

'In St Keyne's Chapel at Brecon Cathedral (The Chapel of the Cordwainers) are two stained glass windows. The upper or dormer window was given by Gwenllian and her sister Nellie in memory of their parents and their uncle The Rev. Wm. Hughes, M.A., Vicar of Ebbw Vale and J.P. for the County of Monmouth. Contained in the window are full length figures of three early Welsh Saints, St. Cynog, St. Brychan and... Show full comment

St. Alud. A printed card below the window states that these three saints were founders of the Christian Faith in Breconshire and lived in the parish, and that it is quite possible that in their time the first church was built on this spot.'

Pritchard offers another reason why Morgan may have chosen the Brychan family for the subject of her donation: 'One of the old established Welsh families, stemming from Brychan, first Prince of Brecknock, the Morgan motto was 'Gwell angau na chywilydd' (Better death than dishonour). Their pedigree like that of several other old Breconshire families is traced back to some extent, in the History of Brecknock by Theophilus Jones.' In confirmation of this relationship, see the painting of Gwenllian Morgan in the Breconshire Council Chamber, which includes elements of the Brychan coat of armsPritchard offers another reason why Morgan may have chosen the Brychan family for the subject of her donation: 'One of the old established Welsh families, stemming from Brychan, first Prince of Brecknock, the Morgan motto was 'Gwell angau na chywilydd' (Better death than dishonour). Their pedigree like that of several other old Breconshire families is traced back to some extent, in the History of Brecknock by Theophilus Jones.' In confirmation of this relationship, see the painting of Gwenllian Morgan in the Breconshire Council Chamber, which includes elements of the Brychan coat of arms (which can be found on Wikipedia or the Art UK website).

Submitted by: Jeanne Mehan (2018-02-23 15:16:19)

From Elsie Pritchard, Gwenllian Morgan (see previous note), p. 12: 'But whatever project Gwenllian Morgan was engaged on, her devotion to Brecon Cathedral never slackened. Noted as she was for her writings on historical, architectural and ecclesiastical subjects, she wrote extensively on the Cathedral and produced the guide book of this church when it was the Priory Church of St. John the Evangelist of which she was Churchwarden from 1920-22.'
Submitted by: Jeanne Mehan (2018-02-23 15:31:46)


Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2018.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/3978 (accessed 24 October 2018)


 

  St Cynog    detail from    St Cynog, St Brychan and St Alud

Photo © Martin Crampin



 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2018 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2018