Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

St Michael with St Nicholas and St George

  St Michael with St Nicholas and St George

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

1948

Three-light window with standing figures.


firm/studio: Joseph Bell & Son
artist: Edward A. Woore

Church of Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire
west wall of the tower

Given as a memorial to the men of the parish who lost their lives in the Second World War.




 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 26-11-2020

 

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other works at this site
Click here for other works connected to Joseph Bell & Son
Click here for other works connected to Edward A. Woore

Further reading

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (London/Cardiff: 2000), p. 150.

References

A Directory of Stained Glass Windows executed within the past twenty years (London: The British Society of Master Glass-Painters, 1949), p. 14.

A Directory of Stained Glass Windows executed within the past twenty years (London: The British Society of Master Glass-Painters, 1952), p. 18.


 

User contributed comments

This window is indeed by Joseph Bell & Son, the company being owned by Arnold Robinson. However, as kindly confirmed by Arnold's son, Geoffrey Robinson, this window was cartooned and possibly painted by Edward Woore, who was a lifelong friend of Arnold Robinson and who designed for Joseph Bell & Sons, especially post-war.
Submitted by: Peter Jones (2014-11-07 09:49:09)
Editor's response: thanks very much – I have removed the link to Arnold Robinson and added a link to Edward Woore.


Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2020.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/4058 (accessed 15 October 2021)


 

  St Michael with St Nicholas and St George

Photo © Martin Crampin



 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2021 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2021