Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of Christ

  Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of Christ

© University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, photo Martin Crampin

larger image

about 1868

Three-light window. Central figure of Christ holding a lamb and shepherd's staff, two scenes with Christ and children, Christ disputing with the Doctors of the Law in the temple, and Christ in a boat calming the storm.


firm/studio: Lavers & Barraud

Christ Church, Prestatyn, Flintshire
east wall of south aisle chapel (Lady Chapel) (window number: sIII)

The glass was moved from the chancel to its present position when the south aisle was built in 1905.

There were originally several stained glass windows in the chancel. One of the original chancel windows was given by the parents of Samuel and George Gilderoy in memory of six young choristers who were drowned in 1868. Another window was given in memory of the choristers by public subscription. The tragedy is reflected in the imagery of the calming of the storm and the scenes with children. A window in the south wall of the original chancel depicted the Good Shepherd, and was given in memory of Elizabeth Hunt in December 1867 (information kindly provided by Sue Christou from the church archives and Natalia McKenzie).





 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 30-10-2020

 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Christ with Children and with the Doctors in the Temple: Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of ChristChrist the Good Shepherd: Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of ChristChrist with Children and Disciples and Calming the Storm: Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of Christ

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other works at this site
Click here for other works connected to Lavers, Barraud & Westlake

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 143.

References

Malcolm Seaborne, Victorian and Later Stained Glass Windows in Flintshire Churches (Mold: 1996), p. 13.


 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2020.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/2116 (accessed 20 October 2021)



View this object on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 

  Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of Christ

© University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, photo Martin Crampin



 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2021 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2021