Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Augustus Northmore Welby Pugin (1812-1852)

Architect and designer born in London. He worked with Charles Barry on the designs for the Houses of Parliament in London, and designed numerous influential churches and houses. Together with his publications on medieval architecture and design he was a principal motivating force behind the Victorian Gothic Revival. He worked closely with John Hardman who produced metalwork and stained glass to his design, John Crace (painting and soft furnishing), Herbert Minton (ceramic tiles) and George Myers ('Pugin's builder').
For details of his life and examples of his work see www.pugin.com.

Further reading

Pugin: A Gothic Passion (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1994).

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), pp. 81-2, 88-9, 99-100.

Stanley A. Shepherd, The Stained Glass of A W N Pugin (Reading: Spire Books, 2009).



Sites associated with this person
   as architect: Church of St David, Pantasaph , Flintshire



There are no works in the database associated with this person.

Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017