Stained glass designer and watercolourist. After initial training at Sunderland in the 1930s he studied at the Royal College of Art with Martin Travers from 1934-8. After the war he worked as a designer for the Abbey Studio in Edinburgh until 1963. Moving to the south-west of England, Crombie worked for the stained glass studio John Hall & Sons of Bristol and its successor, J. Clarke & Eaton. After a brief spell working for Wippell of Exeter he worked freelance.
| St Francis and St Helena
artist: James A. Crombie
Church of St Bridget, St Brides Major, Bridgend
south wall of the nave