Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Harry Stammers (1902-1969)


Stained glass artist and sculptor. Harry James Stammers was employed by Powell & Sons from 1918 until 1943, working as a cartoonist. After a brief spell as a draughtsman at Wippell's in Exeter, he established his own studio in York in 1947. He was encouraged by Dean Milner-White to establish a 'school' of glass painting, and his distinctive style was mirrored by others, notably Harry Harvey. He worked with George Pace at Christchurch (Newport) and St Michael's College, Llandaff.




Search for further information about Harry Stammers on Google

Your search found 2 results
  Scenes from Pilgrim's Progress Scenes from Pilgrim's Progress
artist: Harry Stammers
1953
Church of St Matthew, Buckley, Flintshire
north wall of the north aisle
  Te Deum Te Deum
artist: Harry Stammers
1958
Church of the Holy Trinity, Christchurch, Newport
east wall of the chancel
Further reading

'Obituary: Harry J. Stammers' Journal of the British Society of Master Glass-Painters, vol. xiv, no. 4 (1968–9), 189–90.

Joyce Little, Stained Glass Marks and Monograms (London: National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies, 2002), p. 113.

Henry Hinchcliffe, The Stained Glass Windows of Harry Stammers (Mindelph Press, 2016).





Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database



 
Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies


Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin © 2011-2024