Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Stephen W. Williams (1837-1899)


Architect and antiquarian. Based in Rhayader, he was County Surveyor of Radnorshire and also worked as a railway surveyor. He was responsible for many municipal buildings in mid Wales, as well as restoring and building new churches. An active member of the Cambrian Archaeological Association and Powysland Club, he directed the excavations of the Cistercian abbeys of Strata Florida (1887-8) and Strata Marcella (1890).

Powys Digital History Project




Search for further information about Stephen W. Williams on Google

Sites associated with this person
  as architect: Church of St Michael, Cathedine
  as architect: Church of St Michael, Llanfihangel Rhydithon , Powys
  as architect: Church of St Llyr, Llanyre , Powys
  as architect: Church of St Bridget, Llansantffraed , Powys



There are no works in the database associated with this person.
Further reading

Richard Haslam, The Buildings of Wales: Powys (Harmondsworth/Cardiff: 1979), pp. 62-3.





Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database



 
Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies


Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin © 2011-2024