Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

W. F. Dixon (1848–1928)


British stained glass designer and painter. William Francis Dixon trained with Clayton and Bell and designed windows for them before establishing his own firm in 1872. He worked in partnership with Edward Frampton and Charles Hean in around 1877. He was responsible for several commissions in the Diocese of Llandaff, suggesting that his work was favoured by the diocesan architect John Prichard. Dixon moved to Germany in 1894, where he designed for the firm Mayer of Munich.



Show signatures and maker's marks


Search for further information about W. F. Dixon on Google

Your search found 11 results
  St Charles Borromeo, St John the Baptist and St Francis of Assisi St Charles Borromeo, St John the Baptist and St Francis of Assisi
patron: John Patrick Crichton-Stuart
artist: W. F. Dixon
about 1881-1886
Church of St Margaret, Roath, Cardiff
east wall of Marquis of Bute Mausoleum
  St Elizabeth of Hungary, St Henry II Holy Roman Emperor and a Second Figure of Elizabeth St Elizabeth of Hungary, St Henry II Holy Roman Emperor and a Second Figure of Elizabeth
patron: John Patrick Crichton-Stuart
artist: W. F. Dixon
about 1881-1886
Church of St Margaret, Roath, Cardiff
north wall of Marquis of Bute Mausoleum
  St Gertrude of Nivelles, St John the Divine and St Emily St Gertrude of Nivelles, St John the Divine and St Emily
patron: John Patrick Crichton-Stuart
artist: W. F. Dixon
about 1881-1886
Church of St Margaret, Roath, Cardiff
north wall of Marquis of Bute Mausoleum
  The Resurrection The Resurrection
artist: W. F. Dixon
1882
Church of St Tewdric, Mathern, Monmouthshire
east wall of the north aisle
  Ruth, Dorcas and Anna Ruth, Dorcas and Anna
artist: W. F. Dixon
about 1883
Llandaff Cathedral, Llandaff, Cardiff
north wall of the north aisle
  Scenes from the Passion and Resurrection of Christ Scenes from the Passion and Resurrection of Christ
artist: W. F. Dixon
1884
Church of St Cadfan, Tywyn, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel
image not available The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary, St John and St Mary Magdalene
firm/studio: W. F. Dixon
about 1887
Church of St Mary, Bridgend
east wall of the chancel (window number: I)
  Christ and St Mary Magdalene at the House of Simon the Leper Christ and St Mary Magdalene at the House of Simon the Leper
artist: W. F. Dixon
1890
Church of St John the Baptist, Cardiff
north wall of the north aisle
  Christ the Good Shepherd Greeting the Sick and the Lame Christ the Good Shepherd Greeting the Sick and the Lame
artist: W. F. Dixon
about 1890
Church of St John the Baptist, Cardiff
  The Adoration of the Young Christ The Adoration of the Young Christ
firm/studio: W. F. Dixon
1890
Church of St Mary, Aberavon, Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot
east wall of the chancel


Further reading

Joyce Little, Stained Glass Marks and Monograms (London: National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies, 2002), p. 42.



References

William Waters, Angels & Icons: Pre-Raphaelite Stained Glass 1850–1870 (Abbots Morton: Serapim Press, 2012), p. 120.





Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database



 
Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies


Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin © 2011-2024