Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Wilhelmina Geddes (1887-1955)

Irish stained glass artist. Wilhelmina Geddes trained at Belfast School of Art and the Metropolitan School of Art in Dublin. She was a member of the artist's co=operative of An Túr Gloine, established by Sarah Purser in Dublin, from 1911-22. In 1925 she established a studio in London at The Glass House, London. Her last large work was her west window of the Church of St Peter, Lampeter, installed in 1946.

Further reading

Nicola Gordon Bowe, Conflict and Resistance: heroic images of Modernism in the stained glass art of Wilhelmina Geddes (1887-1955) (Lampeter: 2006).

Nicola Gordon Bowe, 'Interpreting the Bible through Painted Glass: The Harry Clarke Studios and Wilhelmina Geddes (1887-1955)' in Biblical Art from Wales, pp. 204-215 (Sheffield: Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2010).

Nicola Gordon Bowe, Wilhelmina Geddes: Life and Work (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2015).

Peter Cormack, Women Stained Glass Artists of the Arts and Crafts Movement (London: London Borough of Waltham Forest, 1985), pp. 19–23.



Your search found 1 result.
  Christ Calling Peter and Andrew Christ Calling Peter and Andrew
artist: Wilhelmina Geddes
1946
Church of St Peter, Lampeter, Ceredigion
west wall of the nave




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017