Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Charles Eamer Kempe (1837-1907)

Painted walls, ceilings and woodwork in churches during the 1860s before establishing his own stained glass company, C. E. Kempe & Co. in London in 1869. Although he was not a trained artist, he had designed windows for Clayton & Bell and his ideas were interpreted by the members of his studio. His methods were influenced by sixteenth-century work from Flanders and Northern Germany.

Kempe Society webpage.

Further reading

Margaret Stavridi, Master of Glass: Charles Eamer Kempe 1837-1907 (Hatfield: John Taylor Books, 1988).

Philip Collins, The Corpus of Kempe Stained Glass in the UK and Ireland (Kempe Trust, 2000).



Your search found 1 result.
  The Crucifixion with Panels from the Seven Sacraments The Crucifixion with Panels from the Seven Sacraments
restorer: Charles Eamer Kempe
about 1500, restored in 1876
Church of St Tyrnog, Llandyrnog, Denbighshire
east wall of the north nave




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017