Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

St Ambrose

  St Ambrose

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

about 1915

Single-light window.

size: 65 cm (width)

Caldey Abbey, Caldey Island
chapter room

St Ambrose (334/40-397) Bishop of Milan and one of the four great Latin Doctors of the church. Seen here in full (medieval) episcopal robes, and carrying the text of one of his major doctrinal treatises. He is also holding a scroll with the words of the hymn Te Deum Laudamus, which traditionally he is believed to have written, though this is now thought unlikely. It is said that the features of Ambrose are based on Dom Aelred Carlyle, the founding abbot of Caldey who left the community in 1920.

Record added by Martin Crampin, Additional contribution by John Morgan-Guy. Last updated on 03-04-2012


For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

St Ambrose

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other works at this site


Thomas Lloyd, Julian Orbach and Robert Scourfield, The Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire (New Haven/London: Yale University Press, 2004), p. 146.

Eric Rowan and Carolyn Stewart, An Elusive Tradition: Art and Society in Wales 1870-1950 (Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 2002), p. 160.


Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2012. (with a contribution by John Morgan-Guy) (accessed 25 April 2024)


  St Ambrose

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin © 2011-2024