Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Virgin and Child with Saints

about 1945

Two-light window. Seated figure of Mary, the infant Christ standing on her lap. Opposite are two kneeling saints, one in a monastic habit, labelled as Aelhaiarn (patron of the church), and a saint in armour.



Church of St Aelhaiarn, Guilsfield, Powys
south wall of the south aisle

The window is perhaps by Francis Skeat.

The plaque below commemorates George Roberts, vicar 1923-41, and his son, George Richard Gorton Roberts, who died on active service in 1942. During the incumbency of George Roberts the aisle was restored as a Lady Chapel, having previously been used as a private pew.





 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 05-11-2019

 

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other works at this site
 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2019.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/5035 (accessed 23 February 2020)



View this object on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2020 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2020