Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

War Memorials

  War Memorials

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

1924 and 1948

Four-light window comprising four lights from two former windows. The centre standing figures are Dorcas and George, while the two outer lights were formerly a pair, Christ with an angel holding a crown at the left, and a kneeling soldier at the right, with ruined buildings behind.


firm/studio: J. Newton Whitely
firm/studio: E. G. Croney

Church of All Saints, Cwmffrwdoer, Pontypool, Torfaen
west wall of the nave

The centre lights are from a 1924 war memorial, and the outer lights from one of 1948, brought here from the Church of St Luke, Pontnewynydd. after closure. Attributions are provided in The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire as J. Newton Whitely for the 1924 window, and E.G. Croney for the later window, both of Bristol. Few attributions to either artist/studio are known, and they may have simply supplied the windows. The Second World War memorial window is similar to the work of G. Maile & Son, whose work was popular in south Wales in the late 1940s and 50s, while the style of the First World War memorial window is close to the work of J. Wippell & Co. of Exeter, as identified at the Church of St Mary, Briton Ferry, where the single-light aisle window shows very close similarities.

The pairing of Dorcas and George is an unusual one for a war memorial. The theme of the crown of life was frequently chosen for war memorial windows after the First Word War, but slightly less so after the Second World War.



 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 20-10-2016

 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Dorcas and St George: War MemorialsChrist and an Angel: War MemorialsKneeling Soldier: War Memorials

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other works at this site
Click here for other works connected to J. Newton Whitely
Click here for other works connected to E. G. Croney

References

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (London/Cardiff: 2000), p. 475.


 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2016.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/4776 (accessed 23 June 2018)



View this object on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 

  War Memorials

Photo © Martin Crampin



 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2018 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2018