Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Medieval Fragments

  Medieval Fragments

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

late fifteenth century

Three-light window with patterned quarries and various medieval fragments in the upper central light. These include heraldry relating to the patron Bishop John Marshall of Llandaff, instruments of the Passion, and two fragments possibly from a depiction of the Trinity.

size: 46 cm (width of each light)

Church of St Tewdric, Mathern, Monmouthshire
west wall of the south aisle

Most of the glass probably dates from the patronage of John Marshall, who was bishop of Llandaff from 1478-96. Bishop Marshall increased the width of the aisles and filled the new windows with stained glass.

Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 13-05-2020


For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Medieval FragmentsMedieval Fragments

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Click here for other works at this site

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 31.

Gerald Vaughan-Thomas, 'Church of St Twedrig, Mathern' Proceedings of The Monmouthshire & Caerleon Antiquarian Association (1924–6), 10–12.


John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (London/Cardiff: 2000), p. 383.

Andrew Renton, 'Discovering Pre-1700 Stained Glass in South Wales' Vidimus, vol. 34 (November 2009).


Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2020. (accessed 17 April 2024)


  Medieval Fragments

Photo © Martin Crampin

Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin © 2011-2024