Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

The Founder and Architects of the Church

  The Founder and Architects of the Church

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

1938

Two-light window with four standing figures: Wihenoc, the founder of the Priory; Geoffrey of Monmouth; and the architects Francis Smith of Warwick and George Edmund Street.


artist: Christopher Charles Powell

Church of St Mary the Virgin, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
south wall of the south aisle

To the design of the Revd Basil F.L. Clarke, curate of the church and architectural historian.

Inscription: 'In memory of one who served in the Great War.'





 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 13-12-2011

 


Click here for other works at this site
Click here for other works connected to Christopher Charles Powell

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), pp. 224-5.

References

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (London/Cardiff: 2000), p. 397.


 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2011.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/2206 (accessed 8 August 2020)


 

  The Founder and Architects of the Church

Photo © Martin Crampin



 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2020 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2020