Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

The Good Wife

  The Good Wife

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

1896

Three-light window. The central light depicts a mother carrying an infant and holding the hand of a young boy (probably portraits). Left light depicts four more children, and the right light a man and a shepherd. Bodelwyddan church is shown in the background. Six angels bearing texts in the tracery.

size: 45 cm (width of each light) [approx]
firm/studio: T.F. Curtis, Ward & Hughes
designer: T. F. Curtis

Church of St Margaret, Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire
west end of the south aisle

Six angels in the tracery bear the following texts: "She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life", "This women was full of good works", "Thy wife shall be as the fruitful vine upon the walls of thine house, thy children like the olive branches round thy table". Angels hold further texts in upper part of main lights: "A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband", "her price is far above rubies", "The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her". Angels in the lower part of the window bear the following texts: "Her children arise up and call her blessed", "Her husband also and he praiseth her".

Dedication: To the glory of God and in memory of Ellinor Harriet Williams born May 3, 1864 died April 30, 1894. This window is dedicated by her husband William Grenville Williams and her brother Francis Hunt Sitwell AD 1896.





 
Record added by Charlene Crampin, edited by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 24-04-2013

 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

The Good WifeThe Good WifeThe Good WifeThe Good Wife

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other works at this site
Click here for other works connected to Ward & Hughes
Click here for other works connected to T. F. Curtis

References

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 155.

Edward Hubbard, The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (Harmondsworth/Cardiff: Penguin/University of Wales Press, 1986), p. 324.

Malcolm Seaborne, Victorian and Later Stained Glass Windows in Flintshire Churches (Mold: 1996), p. 20.


 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2013. (record added by Charlene Crampin)
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/1009 (accessed 19 February 2020)



View this object on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 

  The Good Wife

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales



 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2020 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2020